We want you to have a stress- and anxiety-free move. Here are the TOP SIX benefits for why you should declutter before moving homes:
* Getting rid of the clutter will allow you to relax and feel great!
* The Home Staging process will be faster and more effective.
* Your home will look inviting and it will attract more buyers.
* Save time, energy and $$ by not moving unnecessary items.
* Less time spent unpacking in your new home; arranging only the items you love.
* Sell and/or Auction Unwanted items to get $$ back.
DECLUTTER IN 14 STEPS TO PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR SALE AND MAKE YOUR MOVE SEAMLESS.
1. WHAT’S YOUR WHY? What do you want? Why do you want it? How are these goals going to make your life better?
2. CAN YOU PICTURE IT? Visualize your ideal space. What does it look like? How do you feel when you are there? Having a clear vision in your mind that motivates you will make the process of decluttering and moving way easier. You will also have a better understanding for what items to take with you and what to leave behind. What kind of activities would you like to do in the new space? Make sure to set up the spaces according to your needs.
HELPFUL TIP: Are you moving into a smaller space? Having detailed measurements of every room can help you decide if an item will fit in the space or not. Measure and play with the layout before you move in.
3. PICKING A SPACE TO START. What is your first priority? What space can you benefit the most from? It’s very powerful to be able to start and finish one area. You will be able to experience a functional and inviting space. This will empower you to keep going with other areas.
4. ACCEPT HELP. Yes, it is true. Getting help makes the decluttering process much faster and more fun! Having someone else will help you feel supported, give you extra hands, help you keep the motivation going and keep you accountable.
5. SCHEDULE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME. Be realistic. This is a tough one. It will depend on how fast you make decisions, how much help you have, and how many items there are in the space. Don’t try to do it all at once. Take whatever you estimated and add 2 more hours ;)
6. TAKE BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS. Pictures are not just for professionals to build their portfolios. Taking photographs will help you see your accomplishment and will be motivation you for future sessions.
“When you understand what drives you, what truly motivates you, you are then able to create an environment that facilitates your goals. It frees up space so the new you can step in. There is purpose in how you live.” - Lanna Nakone, Organizing for Your Brain Type.
7. SET UP A STATION. If possible set up a folding table in the space you are working. Only deal with the items on the table. Keep focused and use a timer if you need to. Under the table, have a few bins (donation, recycling, garbage, shredding, belongs in another space, to give to someone, to sell). Every situation will require some or all of these bins. If you have clear space in the room or close by in another room you can make piles there.
8. THE ‘WAVE’ PROCESS. Start on one side of the room and do a “wave” touching every item in the space: Do I need this item? Is it going to help me achieve my goals? Put the item in the proper pile. If you are unsure make a pile of unsure items and go back to it later.
HELPFUL TIP: Taking a photo of an item can help you keep the memory of it without having the physical item. Keep working with the items you know for sure what to do with them.
9. MESSIER BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. Don’t panic. Things will look messier during the beginning of this process. Allowing time to clean up and place things where they belong at the end of the session is very important.
10. GIVE EVERYTHING A ‘HOME’ Every item that stays in the space needs a permanent spot. No excuses.
11. KEEP A TO-DO LIST. As you sort through your items write down every task that comes to mind as you work. It will help you get things done and make smarter decisions. At the end of the session make sure to schedule all the tasks in your calendar.
12. UNWANTED ITEMS. If you know for sure there will be a lot of unwanted items to go for donation, auction, consignment, and/or recycling make sure to arrange for transportation.
13. STORING ITEMS FOR SOMEONE ELSE. Give them a deadline and make sure they are gone before the end of the session. Move them to another space if that’s an option. They need to understand that you are dealing with clutter and working really hard to get your space back. Their stuff is not helping you accomplish your goal.
14. PAPER. Dealing with paper can take a very long time and you won’t see immediate visual results. We recommend putting the paper aside and deal with it in a future session when you have a clear space to tackle it. If you are dealing with paper you may benefit from reading Tips to win the constant battle against paper clutter.
REAL CLIENT EXAMPLES:
ART STUDIO TRANSFORMATION
CREATING A STARTING POINT
FINAL NOTEDecluttering your home will allow you to make the process of selling your home and moving seamless.
It will also allow you to get a fresh start. It’s a new chapter in your life and you can decide what that chapter includes.
Don’t want to tackle decluttering on your own? We love working with KW Professional Organizers. Call them today at 226-606-3233!